Friday, November 29, 2013

IX. Jacob Bannon

Jacob Bannon, Jane Doe (Ed of 90), 23.5"x35", 2001.
 
 
Jacob Bannon was born in 1976. He is an American artist, musician, and producer. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts from the Art Institute of Boston. Bannon is the founder of Deathwish, a record label and brand, and he is the vocalist of Converge, a hardcore band out of Boston, Massachusetts.
 
Artist statement:

When I was young, I stumbled upon some paintings my father had painted. The day I found those is likely when my imagination started to race on its own. When I was 11-12 became obsessed with the vibrant artwork of the skateboard, bmx, and metal music cultures. I've been hooked ever since. I started painting and drawing on my own in a serious manner since I was 13 or so. I did this until I enrolled in college in 1994. In school I abandoned the "Fine Art" exclusive approach, and enrolled in the Design Program.  

 I don't consider myself a traditional musician/artist/writer. I see those definitions as a bit limiting. "Life" artist makes the most sense to me, as I see all of my creative outlets to be linked together, coming from the same place internally.
The Jane Doe Project by Jacob Bannon, which constitutes of 90 unique painting of the Jane Doe, was inspired from his bands album entitled Jane Doe.

The famous face of Jane Doe chosen for this work brings to mind the worst aspects of death, dying without a name.

References:
http://www.jacobbannon.com/history/


No comments:

Post a Comment